Calling all vegetarians or those meat eaters who want to try something a little different, Keto Aubergine/Eggplant and Cheese Roll-ups! It’s time to get stuck into these scrumptious rolls of aubergine, ricotta, mozzarella and juicy tomato sauce.
What is the Difference Between Aubergine and Eggplant?
There is no difference and both are exactly the same. The word aubergine is widely used in the UK and other European countries, while eggplant is used by those living in the US.
What are the Benefits of Aubergine?
Aubergines are often considered a vegetable, but they are in fact a fruit. This is because they emerge from a flowering plant and contain seeds.
There are several different varieties which vary in size and colour. And although the most popular eggplants are dark purple, this can also be found in green, red or even black. Aubergine offers a range of possible health benefits. 1)https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3765357/
Aubergine contains a decent amount of vitamins, fiber, minerals and nutrients, which includes Vitamin C and K. 2)https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2443/2
As Aubergine contains just a few calories, this may lead to weight loss. It can also be used ingredients that have a higher calorie. 3)https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3032831
What Else Can I Make With Aubergine?
Calling all aubergine lovers! It’s time to test your creativity, Stuffed Aubergine is a great keto meal for everyone and can easily be adapted to your personal dietary requirements, whether you’re a vegan, vegetarian or a meat eater this keto meal can be right for you!
Baked Aubergine Fries
So you can’t have fries on the keto diet? Well not exactly! Simply replace potatoes with aubergine and you’ll soon be enjoying these veggie fries, the results are crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside. Aubergine are easier to turn into fries than traditional potato.
Roasted aubergine is a quick and simple keto side!
Can I Store them in the Fridge?
Yes! The keto aubergine cheese rolls are time consuming and do take time prepare, so it’s a perfect meal to prep on the weekend ready for when you get home from a busy day at work. Simply wait for it to cool down at room temperature then cover the top of your baking tray with plastic wrap and pop it in the fridge for up to 3 days. Once you’re ready to enjoy the keto cheese rolls, preheat oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7, remove the plastic wrap, pop the tray in the oven and reheat for around 20 minutes or so.
Got Some Leftover?
Why not put some excitement back into your lunch at work? Simply place the desired amount of keto aubergines cheese rolls in an airtight container and then when it’s time for lunch, pop them in the microwave for around 2 minutes or so to enjoy a tasty keto meal at work.
1. Add ricotta, shredded parmigiana, egg, chopped basil, lemon zest, salt, pepper to a bowl
2. Mix thoroughly until smooth
1. Pre-heat pan with olive oil(20ml)
2. Finely chop onions and garlic
3. Fry the onions and cook until soft
4. Add chopped tomatoes and simmer for 4 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7
2. Slice aubergine into 8 ½ inch slices and place onto baking tray
3. Add 1 tsp salt , 1 tsp pepper and finally pour 3 tbsp of olive oil over the sliced aubergines
4. Bake for 15 minutes
1. Add 60g of sauce to the base of the roasting dish
2. Add 1 ½ tbsp of filling to aubergine slice and roll. Use a cocktail stick to hold roll together and add to roasting dish. Repeat for all slices.
3. Pour the rest of the sauce over the aubergine roll-ups
4. Lay sliced or grated mozzarella over the sauce
5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes
Fancy a Keto dessert after this meal? Why not try our Keto Chocolate Fudge Brownies?
Aubergines Slices 2 Aubergines 1 tsp Salt 1 tsp Pepper 45ml Olive Oil
Filling 64g Ricotta Cheese 60g ParmigianaCheese Handful of Fresh Basil 1 Egg 1 Lemon (Zest) ½ tsp Salt ½ tsp Pepper
Topping 225g Mozzarella
Sauce 400ml Chopped Tomatoes 20ml Olive Oil 1 Onion 1 Garlic Clove
- Preheat oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7
- Slice aubergine into 8 ½ inch slices and place onto baking tray
- Add 1 tsp salt , 1 tsp pepper and finally pour 3 tbsp of olive oil over the sliced aubergines
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Add ricotta, shredded parmigiana, egg, chopped basil, lemon zest, salt, pepper to a bowl
- Mix thoroughly until smooth
- Pre-heat pan with olive oil(20ml)
- Finely chop onions and garlic
- Fry the onions and cook until soft
- Add chopped tomatoes and simmer for 4 minutes
- Add 60g of sauce to the base of the roasting dish
- Add 1 ½ tbsp of filling to aubergine slice and roll. Use a cocktail stick to hold roll together and add to roasting dish. Repeat for all slices.
- Pour the rest of the sauce over the aubergine roll-ups
- Lay sliced or grated mozzarella over the sauce
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes
References [ + ]